1 continually changing especially as from one abode or occupation to another; "a drifting double-dealer"; "the floating population"; "vagrant hippies of the sixties" [syn: aimless, drifting, vagabond, vagrant]
2 inclined to move or be moved about; "a floating crap game"
3 (of a part of the body) not firmly connected; movable or out of normal position; "floating ribs are not connected with the sternum"; "a floating kidney" [syn: floating(a)]
4 not definitely committed to a party or policy; "floating voters" [syn: floating(a)]
5 borne up by or suspended in a liquid; "the ship is still floating"; "floating logs"; "floating seaweed" n : the act of someone who floats on the water
- Rhymes: -əʊtɪŋ
- That which floats or float.
- floating buoys
- Not fixed in position, opinion etc.; free to move or drift.
- The outcome of the forthcoming election is still unclear due to
the large number of floating voters.
- In China, the large floating population has tended to gravitate to cities.
- The outcome of the forthcoming election is still unclear due to the large number of floating voters.
- Finnish: kelluva
- present participle of float
Float or floating may refer to the following:
- Float (fishing), a bite indicator used in angling
- Float, a Cascading Style Sheets attribute.
- Float (parade), a decorated vehicle or platform, animal- or man-drawn or motorized, used in a festive parade
- Float (money supply), in economics, makes up the smallest part of the money supply
- Float (project management), project time management device
- Float (finance); the free float of a public company is an estimate of proportion of shares
- Float (breakdance move), a balance-intensive breakdance move
- Float (Aesop Rock album), a 2000 album by rapper Aesop Rock
- Float (Flogging Molly album), a 2008 album by Irish punk band Flogging Molly
- Floating window is also used to describe a window in a graphical user interface where the window always stays on top of others even when inactive
- "Float", a song by The Music from their 2003 album The Music
- Valve float, part of an internal combustion engine
- Milk float, a small battery electric vehicle specifically designed for the delivery of fresh milk
- Root beer float, ice cream and root beer served together in one container
- Planemaker's Float, a rasp-like woodworking tool having a series of sharp parallel cutting teeth.
- Pontoon (boat), an air-filled vessel such as a boat or ship floats on water, sometimes known as a float
- IEEE 754, standard for representing floating point numbers in computer science, commonly known as float
- Floating (psychological phenomenon), slipping into altered states
- Dampening, the guitar technique of sustaining a chord rather than scratching, also known as "floating"
- Floating currency, a currency that uses a floating exchange rate as its exchange rate regime
- Floating exchange rate, a type of exchange rate regime wherein a currency's value is allowed to fluctuate according to the foreign exchange market
- Floating (dance), a group of footwork-oriented dance techniques closely related to popping
- Floating point, a datatype in computer science
- Floating, in electronics, being electrically disconnected from a power source, for example, a floating-gate transistor has a gate element insulated from its electrodes
- Floating, in computer typesetting environments such as HTML, wikitext, or desktop publishing, describes the alignment of an element to the left or right while text wraps around it
- Floating (album), the third album by the German progressive rock band Eloy
- Isolation tank use is often referred to as "floating".
floating in German: Float
floating in Dutch: Float
floating in Japanese: フロート
floating in Thai: โฟลต
Australian crawl, Hare system, PR, absentee voting, adrift, afloat, aquaplaning, aquatics, awash, backstroke, ballot-box stuffing, balneation, bathe, bathing, breaststroke, buoyant, butterfly, card voting, circumforaneous, clear, colonization, coming out, crawl, cumulative system, cumulative voting, curtain raiser, debut, discursive, divagatory, diving, dog paddle, drifting, election fraud, embarkation, embarkment, errant, fin, first appearance, fishtail, flapper, flipper, flitting, floatable, floaty, flotation, footloose, footloose and fancy-free, free, fugitive, gadding, gypsy-like, gypsyish, inaugural address, inauguration, induction, initiation, installation, installment, introduction, landloping, launching, list system, loose, maiden speech, meandering, migrational, migratory, natation, nomad, nomadic, opener, plural system, preferential system, preferential voting, preliminary, proportional representation, proxy voting, rambling, ranging, repeating, rickety, roaming, roving, shaky, shifting, sidestroke, single system, single transferrable vote, single-member district, straggling, straying, strolling, supernatant, surfboarding, surfing, swim, swimming, traipsing, transient, transitory, transmigratory, treading water, unanchored, unbound, undone, unfastened, unfixed, unstuck, untied, unveiling, vagabond, vagrant, vote, voting, voting machine, wading, wandering, water-borne, waterskiing